|Mental Model | Vessel|
Mental Model information:
|Status|| Active (manga);|
Unknown (MIA) (anime)
|Affiliation||"Fleet of Fog", self|
Mental Model's Appearance:
|Hair color|| White (manga);|
|Status|| Active (manga);|
|Sunk by||I-401 (anime)|
|Type||"Fleet of Fog" Sen-toku class submarine|
|Maximal Speed||80 knots|
|Armament|| 8x Torpedo tubes;|
11x Photon cannons;
18x Missile launchers
In manga, I-402's hull is almost identical in appearance to that of I-401, but in anime it has a different color scheme: teal instead of blue.
As a surveillance submarine, I-402 has a comparably small arsenal inboard: 8 frontal torpedo tubes and some Photon cannons for active anti-missile defense system. However, she's equipped with sensors unparalleled by all others save for her sister I-400. During Takao's battle against U-2501, I-402 was capable of precisely locating the U-boat from over fifty miles away.
I-402 has one Mental Model. She appears to be a girl in her early teens with white (greenish in anime) hair and green eyes. Her build is very similar to that of Iona or I-400, which is a bit surprising, considering that the other known sets of 'sisters' all look completely different.
The clothes that I-402 is wearing vary as she often falls prey to Yamato's bouts of fashion designing. However, it appears that she prefers purplish and pinkish colors with blue or yellow details.
I-402 is polite and loyal to Yamato; she will readily jump in front of Yamato to protect her from threats. She's a bit more talkative than her sisters and when partnered with I-400, she does most of the talking. I-402 is a bit more independent, and she did help Takao and I-401 later during their confrontation with U-2501 of her own accord. She also did save Takao's core and was left from her Mental Model following that battle as she thought it was the right thing to do. However, I-402 will never do anything that would endanger Yamato's plans.
Role : mangaEdit
In the early chapters I-402, along with her sister I-400, are sent to confront Takao who had just deserted the "Fleet of Fog". They managed to track her down in the capital of Northern region, however, they deemed her to no threat to the fleet at the moment and allowed her to live.
After that, for some time the two sisters were shifted into tracking down the recently-reappeared Admiralty Code, however, this mission was soon aborted. While I-400 was ordered to tail heavy cruiser Maya with Haruna and Kirishima inboard, I-402 remained with Yamato for some time. When Takao was attacked by U-2501, I-402 took it upon herself to guide I-401's active decoy and she also supplied Takao with surveillance data. She also helped I-401 by providing her with Milchkuh's coordinates.
After Takao was sunk, I-402 went ahead and rescued her core and what remained of her Mental Model. She also informed I-401 via quantum communication network that she did pick Takao's core in order to keep her wayward sister away from the potentially dangerous region with unstable spatial anomalies.
After Takao was revived, Yamato made I-402 her warden. As such I-402 had dragged Takao along when she was sent to deliver a message to Assault and Supression vessel Zuikaku. They all disappeared for a time, but most recently I-402 and Takao were seen in Yokosuka city. During that time, I-402 mostly plays the role of a 'team mom', doing housework and such. She's surprisingly good at it too.
Using the experience in communicating with humans that was acquired by various Mental Models - though, still, mostly by I-401 - I-402 is bargaining with local people quite successfully... Or, at least, she is much better at hiding her true nature than Haruna had been. Eventually, after learning that the Japanese government knows, or at least suspects, that she is from the "Fleet of Fog", I-402 decided to initiate an open contact with humans. Yamato gives a mostly-silent approval.
Role : animeEdit
Up until Kongou's attack on Iwo Jima, I-402 and her sister I-400 seemed to be the same as in manga, however it was then revealed that their purpose here was entirely different. Instead of being supreme flagship's eyes and ears, these two submarines are actually autonomous unit with high-enough standing within the "Fleet of Fog" to be able to freely replace Kongou as the flagships of the First Oriental fleet.
They also seem to be far more proactive in anime, and it was them, who sunk I-401 after she managed to break through Kongou's blockade around Iwo Jima. When I-402 and I-400 learned that I-401 was saved by Takao, the two of them personally went after her again, but were defeated and sunk shortly afterward.
- Yamato - The supreme flagship of the "Fleet of Fog" is I-402's mistress and commander.
- I-400 - I-402's sister and her partner on many missions. They have joined cores; supposedly this makes them more dangerous when they are together.
- I-401 - I-402's, other, rebellious sister. I-402, though, will help her and her fleet if she thinks that this will further Yamato's plans.
- Takao - I-402 is tasked with keeping an eye on her following her battle against U-2501 and her seehund drone submarines.
- Zuikaku - she, I-402 and Takao were sent to Yokosuka by Yamato to prevent Haruna and co from learning the truth about the Facility #4 Fire.
- Apparently, it was I-402 who coined the 'Tsundere Heavy Cruiser' moniker for Takao.
- According to the after-chapter 4-panel comics, I-402's New Year wish is a proper name for her Mental Model.
- According to the after-chapter 4-panel comics, I-400 and I-402 missed the Admiralty Code holder at least ones. How one can not notice someone walking around in a complete spacesuit is unclear.
- According to the after-chapter character dialogues, I-402 is an otaku-girl. The Trio Triangle drama CD takes this a step further, depicting her as easily excitable and enthusiastic over the topic of drama CDs, voice acting and concepts such as "moe".
- According to the "Salty Road" spin-off manga, I-402 is pretty good at cooking and other domestic chores.
- Many ARP fans are still discussing I-400 and I-402's death in the anime...
- Being an I-400 class submarine, I-402 (the WWII one) was one of the biggest diesel submarines ever built. Submarines of this class are biggest submarines of the WWII.